As I’ve observed before, going out on your own can be exhilarating, frightening, exciting…..and EXPENSIVE! It’s not so bad if you work strictly from home, but once you’re committed to getting an office, have you thought about the little — and not so little — things you’ll need?
- Receptionist (they really do come in handy, especially when you can’t be in the office!)
- Internet connection
- Telephone line(s) (if you don’t rely strictly on cell phones)
- Utilities (HVAC, electricity)
- Fax machine (some people still use them!)
- Coffee maker & supplies
- Water cooler & refills
- Janitorial services or, if you choose to do it yourself:
- Janitorial supplies
- Vacuum cleaner
- Paper shredder (if you have sensitive materials to dispose of)
- Office supplies
- Art work
Some of these items may seem trivial but they can really help with efficiency and/or atmosphere (we spend a lot of our waking hours at work!) . Everything goes into making an efficient office operation. There’s probably more I haven’t thought of.
So why not start where everything above is ready and waiting for you? Just bring your computer and get going!